Thursday, July 16, 2009

TREK

We walked in remembrance of the Dayley family.
It was actually an ancestor of Jared's.
It was really neat to learn about James Dayley as he was one of
the earliest members of the LDS church.

This is our TREK family. We love them! The doll is Isabel. Each family had to carry a baby as so many pioneers had little children with them.

Ma and Pa on the trail! We loved every minute of it!

Jared and I were asked to go on Trek as leaders for our church. Trek is where you pull handcarts and reenact the pioneers coming across the plains. At first, I was not excited about this. However, I was so glad that I was able to be there. What a wonderful experience it was. I was extremely touched by the sacrifice those from the past made.
We had 7 youth in our group ages 14 - 18. What a remarkable group! They worked together, showed love and support for one another. Some of these kids did not know each other before Trek and we did not know all of them. I feel that they made a connection that will always be remembered.
I now have a greater understanding and appreciation for those who had to pave the way before us. I also really appreciated my shower when I got home!

1 comment:

Kara said...

That's so neat you guys got to go. what a great experience! I bet you were fabulous "parents" to your group!